Thursday, September 1, 2011

red leather jacket II

This morning, I finally finished repairing and transforming the vintage red leather jacket I bought in Maine

The skirt of pinwheel woven cotton fabric repairs and extends the existing red lining that was torn at the hem. I measured and drafted the four pattern pieces, lined and pleated the resulting “skirt,” then integrated it into the lining of the jacket.

I replaced the plastic buttons with buttons covered in vintage kimono fabric. The four large buttons at the wrists belonged to my mother; she had used safety pins to transform them into brooches for her assortment of blazers. The two closing the front were part of a pack of five that my mother bought at a museum shop (I can't remember which; many years have passed) and gave to me. I’ve been waiting for a way to use them. 

1 comment: